Here’s your NLP Learning Styles Inventory:
Note: this instrument is a simple questionnaire to determine if you (or your student/child/spouse/friend) learns best in the Visual modality, the Auditory modality, or Kinesthetic (feeling).
What’s Your Learning Style
Top of Form
For these questions, choose the first answer that comes to mind and click on a,b, or c. Don’t spend too much time thinking about any one question.
1. When you study for a test, would you rather
a) read notes, read headings in a book, and look at diagrams and illustrations.
b) have someone ask you questions, or repeat facts silently to yourself.
c) write things out on index cards and make models or diagrams.
2. Which of these do you do when you listen to music?
a) daydream (see things that go with the music)
b) hum along
c) move with the music, tap your foot, etc.
3. When you work at solving a problem do you
a) make a list, organize the steps, and check them off as they are done
b) make a few phone calls and talk to friends or experts
c) make a model of the problem or walk through all the steps in your mind
4. When you read for fun, do you prefer
a) a travel book with a lot of pictures in it
b) a mystery book with a lot of conversation in it
c) a book where you answer questions and solve problems
5. To learn how a computer works, would you rather
a) watch a movie about it
b) listen to someone explain it
c) take the computer apart and try to figure it out for yourself
6. You have just entered a science museum, what will you do first?
a) look around and find a map showing the locations of the various exhibits
b) talk to a museum guide and ask about exhibits
c) go into the first exhibit that looks interesting, and read directions later
7. What kind of restaurant would you rather not go to?
a) one with the lights too bright
b) one with the music too loud
c) one with uncomfortable chairs
8. Would you rather go to
a) an art class
b) a music class
c) an exercise class
9. Which are you most likely to do when you are happy?
b) shout with joy
c) jump for joy
10. If you were at a party, what would you be most likely to remember the next day?
a) the faces of the people there, but not the names
b) the names but not the faces
c) the things you did and said while you were there
11. When you see the word “d – o – g”, what do you do first?
a) think of a picture of a particular dog
b) say the word “dog” to yourself silently
c) sense the feeling of being with a dog (petting it, running with it, etc.)
12. When you tell a story, would you rather
a) write it
b) tell it out loud
c) act it out
13. What is most distracting for you when you are trying to concentrate?
a) visual distractions
c) other sensations like, hunger, tight shoes, or worry
14. What are you most likely to do when you are angry?
b) shout or “blow up”
c) stomp off and slam doors
15. When you aren’t sure how to spell a word, which of these are you most likely to do?
a) write it out to see if it looks right
b) sound it out
c) write it out to see if it feels right
16. Which are you most likely to do when standing in a long line at the movies?
a) look at posters advertising other movies
b) talk to the person next to you
c) tap your foot or move around in some other way
Total your a’s, b’s, and c’s. Add the numbers and if most are a’s you are primarily Visual, if most are b’s, you are primarily Auditory, and if most are c’s you are primarily Kinesthetic. The next highest number is probably your secondary representational system. Note: it is possible to lead in one modality and another be the stronger as in Visual comes first, but you find most of your answers to be c’s.